…is a remarkably splendidly equipped pilgrimage church.
It stands in the district of Wies, belongs to the municipality of Steingaden,
in the so-called Bavarian “Pfaffenwinkel”.
The full name of the Wieskirche is Wallfahrtskirche zum Gegeißelten Heiland auf der Wies. The church is located in the diocese of Augsburg.
Patron of the church is St. Joseph.
The foundation of the church goes back to a pilgrimage. The Wieskirche was built from 1745 to 1754 by the brothers Johann Baptist and Dominikus Zimmermann.
In 1983, the Wieskirche was declared a World Heritage Site.
It is a regular venue for church music concerts.
The major main festivals of the Wies are on:
May 1 the opening of the pilgrimage year
14. June respectively on the following Sunday the feast of the tears of Christ (memory of the Tränenwunders and origin of the pilgrimage)
first Sunday in September to the memory of the church consecration
on the second Sunday in October the feast of the Brotherhood of the Flagellated Savior on the Wies
Festive is also the Holy and Easter liturgy in the Wies.