Linderhof Palace in the municipality of Ettal is a palace that belonged to the Bavarian King Ludwig II. It was constructed in several phases between 1870 and 1886.
The small palace was erected in place of the “Königshäuschen” belonging to his father, Max II.
Linderhof Palace is the smallest of Ludwig II’s three palaces and the only one that was completed during his lifetime. Linderhof is one of the “fairytale king’s” favourite palaces and he stayed here most frequently by far. The palace and the gardens are open to visitors.
The palace gardens were also laid between 1874 and 1880 with the construction of the palace, and Ludwig II commissioned Carl von Effner with this task. The grounds combine various influences: the palace is surrounded by a formal garden that combines references from Baroque and Rococo gardens. The extensive parkland surrounding the ornamental garden within the Graswang Valley is based on English landscaped gardens with groups of trees and winding paths.
The garden is almost cross-shaped, the midpoint of this cross being the palace with its large pond to the front and 22 m high fountain. The garden goes up the slope in front of and behind the palace and is separated by terraces and staircases.
The entire Linderhof Palace Park has a number of ornamental buildings.
On the rise of the terrace complex is a small Venus temple, the rise behind the bedroom wing is decorated with a cascade and ends in what is called the Neptune Fountain.